Thursday, May 2, 2019

Queen's Blade: Sword of the Unicorn, chapter 4-f

Regarding the funky "Laila losing a wing" poll from the other day, "fell and broke it" beat both "Nanael stole it" and "Eilin sold it", 21v-58% versus 12v-33% and 3-8%.
Heh, she was a bit of an airheaded klutz, wasn't she... :3

Now next poll, Fio vs Michel at last...!

And here we have Fio spilling the beans!

Enjoy!




“Leina… Tomoe… I have a confession to make.”
Urged on by the elf, the boy began.
“The truth is, I was originally with Airi of my own free will. The whole kidnapping thing was a lie… I let her wait on me hand and foot, living a life of luxury. And yet, the moment I heard they were going to sacrifice me, I ran. I’m not the kind of guy you two should be rescuing.”
Tears ran down his eyes.
“From the moment we first met, Leina, I fed you all sorts of lies. It was all just some sob story I made up for sympathy’s sake, to make myself look better to you.”
“So?”
“So, you don’t have to fight. It’s my just desserts that Airi has me back here.”
“DENIED!”
Leina yelled back at him.

“This is more than just your problem now, Fio. To me, it’s a matter of pride! I’m going to defeat that maid and save you! Besides, you asked for my help and that’s more than reason enough for me to fight!”
Her voice echoed out.
“Even if nine out of ten things you say are lies, I’ll fight for the one truth.”
“But, if you fight her the way you are now, you could die.”
Fio didn’t want that. Granted, they hadn’t known each other for long, but in that time, Leina had taught him something invaluable: how to fully trust in others.
For a guy like him, who spent his entire life lying and deceiving others, she represented an all too dazzling existence.

“She could die?”
The elf burst out into laughter, holding her sides.
“What? Are you kidding me, kid?”
“Thanks for worrying about me, Fio.”
Leina looked towards him with resolution in her eyes.
“But if you’re participating in the Queen’s Blade, then you already know what might be in store for you. There’s no point joining if you’re unwilling to dance with death itself. And that’s something that me, Tomoe, Echidna, Airi… basically all participants in this tournament share.”

She paused for a moment, then continued.
“So, I’m not afraid of death, Fio. I’m going to beat Airi and rescue you.”
The blonde began her approach to him.
“Unfortunately, that’s not something I can allow.”
But Airi stood in her way, scythe in hand.
“The young master is coming home with me to my Mistress.”
Leina stopped, then reached for her sword.
“In that case… I have no choice but to battle.”
“But of course, we may end up fighting later in the tournament… for now however, let me test your abilities here.”

A crystal ball glimmered within the wraith’s palm, and held within it was the image of the goddess statue crossing two swords over her chest… the symbol of the Queen’s Blade.
“You’ll accept a preliminary, won’t you? Lady Exiled Warrior.”
Now that Airi had presented her with the mark of the Queen’s Blade, it was up to Leina to reciprocate.
“Of course.”
She held up her own crystal ball with her still free hand.
The two orbs floated up into the air and with blazing radiance, began projecting magical runes over the battlefield.

“Skirmish approved.”
Patterns indicating the full range of their match spread out for a moment, then disappeared.
The floating crystal balls would now only return to their respective owners once the battle was done.
The Exiled Warrior, Leina.
The Infernal Temptress, Airi.
Who could come out on top?
They won’t know that unless they fight.

***

“By the way, Tomoe.”
As the other two steeled themselves to fight, Echidna called out.
“Kindly refrain from addressing me so casually.”
The priestess aimed both a glare and the tip of her sword in the elf’s direction.
“Oooh, scary. Keep that face up and you’ll get wrinkles.”
Sitting back down beside Fio, the elf mocked the priestess.
“Speaking of which, you mind being a good girl and putting that sword away already? Or are you looking for a fight?”
“Indeed I am.”
“Well, too bad, cuz I’m not really feeling it. In which case, are Hinomoto’s Warrior Priestesses so petty as to aim their sword at someone even when they’re not holding a weapon?”
“Guh…”

[Regrettably, she’s right. It’s against Warrior Priestess etiquette to point your weapon at an unarmed opponent.]
“Let’s just watch quietly for now. Who knows, you might even get your fight later?”
“Hm… I suppose I have no choice.”
Gnawing her lip in frustration, Tomoe sheathed her sword.
“Good, good, attagirl. You big sis will make sure to play with you lots later.”
“I have no intention of ‘playing’ with you.”
Pouting sulkily, Tomoe stood, facing in Echidna’s direction.

Leina and Airi would be starting their match anytime soon and since the elf had refused her challenge, what Tomoe should be doing next was helping Fio… but she couldn’t very well cross between the two fighters while they were still in the midst of their duel either…
Ignoring how the situation seemed to have Tomoe lost in thought, Echidna undid the binding on Fio’s left hand while humming a tune.
“Airi can’t stop you now, kid, so knock yourself out.”
Now, all that remained were the bindings on his feet.
“You’re helping me?”
“Just another whim. Although, even if you can run away now, I recommend you stick around and watch the outcome.”
She winked at him, then turned her attention back to the upcoming fight.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment