Thursday, July 4, 2019

Queen's Blade: Sword of the Unicorn, chapter 5-b

On the "QB land to be born" poll, "Gainos", "Hinomoto" and "Swamp" won with 15v-31%, 13v-27% and 12v-25% respectively. Then, there was "Vance domain" and "Elven forest" with 4v-8% and 3v-6%, while no one voted for dwarfland.
Hm, there was all kinds of variety here, I wonder...

No poll this week!

And here we made an effort to finish the epilogue this week, only the author notes and stuff remaining!
No posts next week tho, we gotta get a break every now and then!

Enjoy!




When Fio awoke, he saw blue skies spread out above him. He fondly stared, something he hadn’t had the liberty of doing for a while now.
For as long as he’d been together with Airi, he was underground.
After being away from the sky for so long, looking up at it now, it somehow felt even more dazzingly blue than he remembered.
He could hear a singing voice coming from close by. A familiar song… the very song he’d performed back at Logan’s inn, in fact.
“...No, that’s not it.”
The singing stopped; it seemed the singer had a hard time remembering the lyrics.

“It’s more like this…”
Fio quipped before beginning to sing from his lying position. His pleasant voice filled the air.
He missed this feeling, the exhilaration of singing under the bright blue sky. This was something he just wasn’t able to enjoy staying with Airi.
“Good morning, Fio.”
After giving him a moment to finish, Leina called out.
“Good morning, Leina.”
The boy grinned, slowly standing up. Across the gentle hills, he could just make out the city of Sheldan and its port.

A soft breeze made Fio’s white dress sway.
“Were you the one who dressed me back in this, Leina?”
“It was all I had on hand. I couldn’t just leave you that way.”
After recapturing him, all Airi did was put him in bondage to make sure he wouldn’t get away.
What he wore now was the white dress he’d been wearing back when he first met Leina.
“Oh well… can’t say that I mind.”
“So it is your hobby!!”
“I wouldn’t put it that way, call it wisdom. This look makes me more popular.”
His tone then changed.

“Thanks, Leina.”
“Eh?”
“For saving me.”
“Hearing that is reward in itself.”
For Leina, who took on this journey seeking adventure, nothing could beat the smile of a person she just helped out.
“Right. Here’s your precious other half.”
Leina handed Fio the Sword of the Unicorn.
“Ah, this… you can keep it, Leina.”
“I can’t. I’m not skilled enough to do it yet.”
This was something made all too clear to her during her battle with Airi: the Sword’s powers were simply too strong. If she were to hold onto that kind of borrowed power, she knew she’d never get the chance to strengthen her own.

“Legendary and stellar swords choose their owners.”
He pushed it back into her hands.
“You don’t become a master by switching blades at a moment’s notice.”
She smiled brightly, rejecting his invitation.
“For me, still being in training, that weapon is just too powerful.”
She added, restraining herself.
What defeated Airi was Fio’s power, which he’d drawn out without fear of the Sword’s might or even his own death.

“That aside, why even go so far to help me? All I did was feed you lies.”
“Even if most of what you said were lies, your pleas for help were more than true enough for me.”
She clearly reasserted her beliefs.
“So, Fio.”
“Yeah?”
“Now it’s my turn to ask you something. What will you do now? I’m planning to continue on with my training journey.”
A good deal of the population would have seen her battle with Airi through the crystal balls. Naturally, Leina’s pursuers included.
She couldn’t stay in Sheldan any longer.

“Then take me with you. You’re the master of the Sword of the Unicorn after all, and above all else, didn’t you make a vow?”
“A vow?”
“‘I vow to become thy sword’...”
Fio quoted the vow she made earlier back at Logan’s inn.
“Oh, I did vow that. I’d say I made pretty good on that one already actually.”
“I see…”
“That doesn’t mean I won’t take you with me though.”
“Eh?”
“I can hardly leave a liar like you at large, Fio.”
She beamed, standing next to him.
“Liars are pretty bad, huh?”
“Tell me about it.”
“Then, why don’t I show you something that’s the real deal?”
He said, as he began singing again, dancing with sword in hand.

“In this world, there may be many amazing, legendary blades
Yet there’s but one that matters above all else
And that’s the one the Queen holds

There may be many named weapons
Yet there’s but one that matters to a master
And that’s the master’s own skills

Masters of the world, aim for the Queen’s Throne
She who is fit to become Queen, there’s but one
The Queen of the Blade is the Queen of the World

Dance beautifully, grip your blade
Dance beautifully, risk your life
Dance beautifully, in the field of battle.”

Fio’s singing voice filled the air beneath the bright blue sky. Hearing his voice echo beautifully and free, Leina found herself feeling sincerely glad she’d been able to help him.


***

The Queen’s Blade.
A massive competition held once every 4 years, made to select the Continent’s Queen.
The battle between those aiming to become Queen would be unfolding soon enough.
Who will be the one to take the crown?
Leina, Tomoe, or…?
They won’t know that unless they fight.

(End)

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to be born in Gainos... speciafically the outskirts where I'd hopefully (and literally) bump into Cattleya :3

    ReplyDelete