Thursday, October 18, 2018

Queen's Blade: Sword of the Unicorn, chapter 1-d

Regarding Nanael's situation with the Head Angel poll, "slightly vexed" and "annoyed" won with 9v-29%, followed by "this is it, to Hades with you" with 7v-22%. After that, there was "losing patience" and "never lose hope" with 5v-16% and 1v-3%.
Hm, there's something to be said for an angel's divine patience, isn't there...? For Nanael's sake too, lol.

Now next poll, let's get funky with Catt's crazy sword?

And for the next story bit, Airi seeks more info, and the sleeping beauty awakens...?

Enjoy!




“Haa…”
Amidst the walls of Sheldan’s underground graveyard, Airi sighed.
[How many times are you going to do that? You know what they say, every time you sigh, a little bit of happiness escapes…]
Given Airi’s current mood, she’d be shocked if there was any happiness left in her at all.
The skeleton warrior’s defeat meant there’d be evidence left at the scene. Were any potential witness to notice her spirit manipulation in today’s match and put two and two together… there was a chance people may turn their suspicions on her next, seeing as they were both undead.
[Though, I do suppose that is a bit of a leap in logic. I’ll probably be fine…]

“Who did it lose to?”
In all fairness, skeleton warriors weren’t particularly strong. Their movements were sluggish and without muscle mass, their attacks lacked any real impact. Were someone calm and confident enough in their abilities to fight one, Airi had little doubt that they’d make quick work of them.
[I am curious as to who beat it though.]
From the orb’s testimony, it was a Queen’s Blade participant that much was for sure. The Warrior Priestess she’d fought earlier would normally be a prime suspect, but…
[That’s impossible. Timewise, she must only now be leaving the stadium.]
(Right. She called herself the Exiled Warrior, Leina.)

The orb replied from the floor, shimmering absentmindedly with a pale flame as it still lay there. From its current viewpoint, it could see every curve beneath Airi’s skirt.
“By the way, Mister Orb.”
(Yes, Lady Airi?)
“How long do you intend to remain planted down there?”
(Just a while longer, there’s some things I feel I need to reflect on.)
“Is that so? My, what a marvellous attitude.”
A bright smile filled Airi’s pretty features, now having heard Leina’s name.
“The Exiled Warrior’s name was among the list of fighters Mistress wanted me to face for this mission. What luck!”
It seemed the essence she’d absorbed from Hinomoto’s Warrior Priestess had brought her some good luck too.

“There is something else I’d like to ask, however.”
(No problem, go right aheaaad~)
*Twirl*, the orb spun around, straining its proverbial ear in wait for whatever question she might pop.
“Was Miss Leina’s weapon imbued with any sort of magical properties? Or under any kind of sacred protection?”
(Nope, just your basic sword, high quality but nothing special otherwise.)
“Is that so? My thanks for the information.”
Hearing that came as a relief to the maid. Skeleton swordsmen were every bit as immortal as spirit orbs; they couldn’t be completely destroyed unless struck by magical or sacred sources. After some time had passed, the swordsman would simply regenerate and try its mission again.

[In which case, I may as well spend that time recovering from my wounds.]
(Lady Airi, will you be going out? I can guide you whenever you feel ready.)
“A pity, but not now, I need more time to heal.”
(Really? A true pity indeed.)
“You needn’t worry however, I’ll be putting you back to work soon enough.”
(Ohh yeaaah, Lady Airi. Grind me even harder with your mop~)
Ignoring the orb who seemed far too interested in getting entwined with her mop again, the wraith disappeared for her resting place to relax.

***

Fio’s throat and head hurt.
“Ahhh…”
She unconsciously brought her hands up to her head and groaned even further, instantly filled with a shooting pain the moment she touched the affected area directly.
It seemed she’d hit the floor hard with her head.
[I’m so dumb.]
Contemplating her own stupidity, Fio took a look at her surroundings. She was in a no frills, frugal and clean room.
[A room in some inn, if I had to guess.]
She saw no trace of the warrior from earlier who’d fought the skeleton to protect her and judging from the night sky spread out before her through the window, the sun must have set hours ago.
The colorful street lamps along with the images reflected from each crystal ball within the city made for a beautiful sea of colors outside.

“Well, guess I should make my escape now.”
[The window isn’t locked. I feel bad for her, but I really should get a move on. I don’t know what they did with that skeleton, but news of its defeat must have already reached “her” by now. And if I let that warrior and “her” fight… Yeah, I can’t see the warrior beating those odds.]
It took her all of 0.5 seconds flat to come to her conclusion.
“I can’t involve you anymore… Thanks for all your help, you did manage to buy me some time at least. Goodbye, Exiled Warrior.”
Leaving some insincere words of thanks to an empty room, Fio proceeded to then try and make her escape from the window… when she noticed something was missing.
“Ah?”
[Wait, did I drop it somewhere? Crap. If I don’t have it… or hell, if someone even gets a little too rowdy with it…! This is really bad!!]
The girl quickly left the window frame and began frantically searching every corner of the room.

“If you can move around that much, then I guess I really was worried for nothing.”
Hearing a voice suddenly call out to her, Fio stood up… only to hit her head on the corner of a table. As one would expect, hitting her head twice in the same spot was enough to bring tears to her eyes.
As she struggled to hold back said tears, the child looked up to the woman who had spoken to her.
“Ah, sorry… did I startle you?”
It was the Exiled Warrior, an apologetic expression on her face as she made an equally apologetic gesture with her hands.
“Try knocking before you enter a room, would you?”
Fio began to scold the blonde… when she noticed the thing she was holding in her hand.

“Ah!”
It was the very item she’d been looking for.
“Looking for this?”
Leina was quick to notice Fio’s line of sight.
“I was. Give it back!”
“You won’t run away if I do?”
“I won’t.”
“I have a bunch of questions I’d like to ask you about it too.”
“I’ll answer them, so just give it back.”
“Okay.”
And with that, Leina unceremoniously handed the precious weapon back to the girl.
“Eh?”
Fio reacted in surprise before she could even think about it; well that was anticlimactic.
“What’s with the surprised look?”
“N-No… it’s just…”
[You’d normally try and deal some more first, wouldn’t you? Why’d she just give it back? If I were her, I wouldn’t just hand over my one and only bargaining chip without getting what I wanted first.]
“It’s yours and I’m no thief. Simple as that.”
Leina explained herself, grinning with a warm smile as she leaned closer to Fio’s eye level.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, neat. I like the description of how the lamps and the images reflected in the crystal balls made for a beautiful sea of colors.

    ReplyDelete