Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Queen's Blade: Knight of the Unicorn, Epilogue

You might think this marks the end of book 5 (and technically the unicorn saga), but not yet!

Also, I seem to have forgotten this pic that doesn't really belong anywhere, it kinda might fit here tho?



Enjoy!


Epilogue: Song of Farewell

 

The disaster the golem had brought became even more evident after the morning sun reached the sky.

However, there was no fear. People started recovering straight away. They regained their daily lives.

The golem had been defeated. By the hand of a female knight riding a unicorn through the sky. The bards would go on spreading last night’s events in the form of a song.

The tale of the warrior who brought down the demon from the age of the gods.

 

***

 

Fio slowly landed on the hills overlooking Sheldan from afar.

“Fio, you… you were actually a unicorn.”

She got off his back, and looked at the white horse’s huge body. It was said that all the creatures that had lived in the age of the gods were huge. Even for the humans back then, who were said to be twice the size as normal according to legends, the Great Unicorn would have been big.

(Leina, do thou remember this place?)

She tilted her head in confusion at his question.

(I remember. This is the place thou had me rest in after rescuing me from the underground.)

“Sorry, I had totally forgotten about it.”

(I shan’t forget. The blue sky, and thy singing voice.)

Her cheeks went red.

“I-I-I'm not that good at singing, so…”

(Having little talent at singing is irrelevant. Songs are something thou sing with thy heart.)

“Your heart… is it…?”


The wind running through the top of the hill brushed her body, and that’s when she finally noticed her appearance.

“Wha…”

She wasn’t wearing anything on. The color drained from her blushing face in an instant.

(There is nothing thou need to feel shy about. Thy body is beautiful.)

Being told that she was beautiful didn’t feel bad at all, but still didn’t work to calm her down.

“Say, Fio… when will you return to human form?”

The animal shook his head at her question.

(I turned back to my original form. I can no longer take on a human form.)

“Then, you’re going to stay like that.”

(Yes, this is farewell, my beloved Knight!)

She felt the strength leaving her body. Faced with the sudden parting, she disappointedly sat down on top of the hill.

(I am a similar being from the age of the gods as that Golem Warrior. I don’t belong in the world of humans.)

That made her remember the fight with the golem. She certainly didn’t think having that strength of might around could be good.


“That’s right, it is as you say.”

Before the troubled Leina, an angel with strong, powerful wings descended.

She had black hair trimmed above the eyebrows, and sparkled like a jewel before the brightness of the morning sun.

“I came to pick you up, king of the mythical beasts.”

(Head Angel, do grace me with a little more time.)

The black-haired angel nodded, and turned to look at Leina. When the warrior noticed, she hurried to cover her breasts with her hands.

(There is no need for thee to cover yourself…)

Fio’s wry smile was clear, even as a white horse.

“Let us do something about your clothes first.”

The angel smiled gently and waved the cane in her hand, covering the heiress in a sparkling light.

“Miss Leina, you acted remarkably for a human, you're to be commended for your efforts.”

“Eh, w-what?”

The light slowly solidified, becoming clothes that clung to her body.

“I restored your weapon and the armor that you lost. It’s but a modest thank you for saving the world on behalf of us, who couldn’t intervene.”

“But, I wasn’t able to save my mother. Fio lost his human shape too… I couldn’t protect anything that was important to me…”


She hung her head, crestfallen. She no longer felt the euphoria of having slain the Golem Warrior. All that was left inside her was a feeling of emptiness and helplessness.

(Perish those thoughts, my beloved knight.)

Fio spoke gently to her.

(On my trip with thou, I was able to find myself, who I had lost sight of. It’s not that I lost my human form; I was freed from it, so that I could return to my original one.)

“It is as the Great Unicorn says. You have done a wonderful job.”

The Head Angel smiled tenderly, holding up a glittering crystal in the palm of her hand.

“Your Mother’s soul reached Heaven safely. After witnessing what you’ve accomplished, she no longer has any regret left, and won’t be used again for evil machinations.”

(Furthermore, you corrected my mistake Leina.)

“Your mistake?”

The girl raised her face to stare at the white horse.

(The revival of the Golem Warrior was caused due to me continuing to keep a human form. If I hadn’t stayed on earth, catching the eyes of the witch, this would never have happened. That’s why I must leave the earth… so that I don’t repeat the same mistake.)

He lowered his head, ashamed of his actions.


“Say, Fio…”

Leina took a deep breath, then stared straight into his eyes.

“You’re a unicorn, aren’t you?”

(Indeed.)

“Then, you can’t forget about this.”

She pressed the Sword of the Unicorn in her hand against the white horse’s forehead.

“Unicorns get their name because they have one horn, don’t they now.”

The Sword integrated with the horse as it played a soft and gentle melody.

“And I have to return to Heaven the power that is too much for humans to handle.”

The blonde smiled brightly, remembering all the adventures she had had with Fio once and again in her mind.

“Fio stayed by my side when I needed it. He could have explained some things better, but still.”

Then, she slowly walked back, a few steps away from the Great Unicorn and the Head Angel. After that, she looked up at him, who had completely regained his unicorn shape once again.

He was big, strong, gentle, and beautiful.


“Now, Fio, you have to go. You can’t stay here any longer than this.”

The feeling of emptiness and helplessness that had accompanied her until a while ago were nowhere to be seen now. From the words of Fio and the Head Angel, she deeply understood what she had achieved.

And maybe, what she should strive for from that point onwards.

“Thanks, Fio… watch over us from now on.”

(Of course, that is my mission.)

He made a small neigh and kicked the sky with his hoof.

(My beloved knight, I’d like you to grant me one last wish.)

“What now? Don’t go asking for a kiss now.”

(If it’s about kisses, I had my fill…)

Her cheeks turned red when she heard his reply.

(A song… I’d like you to sing for me before I leave the earth.)

Leina nodded, inhaled deeply, and began singing slowly:

 

“I’ll remember forever

The songs I heard from you

Deep inside my heart

I’ll be hearing your songs

 

That courage

A heart that never gives up

Overcoming one’s fear

All that in just one word

 

I’ll sing

So that you can hear me

I’ll hope

For a day when I can sing with you”

 

Fio lifted his legs into the air, and left without looking back even once.

Seen off by Leina’s song, the Great Unicorn galloped towards Heaven, leaving a trail of light in the sky with the morning glow.

“Goodbye, Fio.”

After watching how the Head Angel and the Great Unicorn left towards the heavenly world, she turned her sight towards the far horizon. There, she saw a huge sailing ship carrying the Vance emblem.

Earl Vance, the very man with the power to split the Continent into two. His powerful might, what Leina should succeed. Even after casting away her status as his successor, she realized that there was something she had yet to obtain.

And, that there was a price to pay for the justice she wanted.

She turned her back to the sea, and began to walk towards the highway.

Her journey had only just begun. Her endless, long-lasting journey towards Queen’s Blade…

 

***

 

Queen’s Blade, the large competition every 4 years that is used to choose the Queen who will rule the Continent.

Many women had declared their intention to participate at this tournament, where any woman over twelve could participate, and were in fact fighting in preliminaries at this very moment.

Was a glorious victory waiting for them? Or maybe a severe defeat where they’d lose their lives?

The preliminary battles, after going on for all this time, are ending now, and the main battles will begin.

Any battles from then on will be proper battles of the Tournament, where combatants would risk their lives.

Whom does the goddess of war smile at?

They won’t know that unless they fight.

 

(Knight of Unicorn: End)


No comments:

Post a Comment