Saturday, June 19, 2021

Queen's Blade Unlimited Story: Chapter 8-1d(2)

Nana visits Leina in her slump, but can she convince her of her supposed calling...?

Enjoy!


“You shouldn’t come here.”
Disregarding any and all reverence towards angels, the blonde spoke her innermost thoughts.


“Whoa, that IS harsh.”
The angel sat on the edge of the bed Leina had faceplanted on.
“Still, this can’t wait anymore, y’know...”
The blue-haired girl’s tone changed into a serious one.
“Listen well, Leina. Thou, descendant of the Founder Queen, maiden of revelation.”
A divine glow spread behind her, lighting up the room whole.

Feeling the extraordinary atmosphere, Leina raised her face from the pillow. When she saw Nanael showing her true majesty as an angel—which was only fitting for an apostle of the gods—, her words failed her.
“You must not run away from your fate of opening the door of Maramaks to save the world, and fighting the ‘World Breaker’ there. The destiny of the world rests on thy shoulders...”
The angel presented her with an amulet in the shape of a sword.
“Do receive this, o’ fated warrior.”
Feeling like she couldn’t oppose it, Leina picked it up as commanded.
“T-This is...”
A definite power spread from her hand to her entire body.
“The proof of victory awarded only to the winner of Queen’s Blade... a proof that thou possess the qualifications...”
“The proof of my qualifications...”
“Received it is.”
Nanael’s mouth turned into a grin.

“Eh?”
“Since you went and took it, I’ll have you work for it now~”
Her tone swiftly changed, turning into the usual one.
“Eeeh? I-I’ll give it back then. Here, take it back!”
The amulet seemed to be stuck on, not falling despite Leina waving her hand in a panic.
“Noo~ backsies. It’s yours now.”
 “So, what’s this? A cursed amulet?”
“What nerve! That’s the very proof of a true Queen. The fact that you have it means that you have the qualifications! So, come to Queen’s Blade triumphantly! Got it?”
The angel said unilaterally, and subsequently left for the night sky, leaving a confused girl behind.
“What should I do... with this...?”
 
***
 
Even as she held the amulet, Leina didn’t act straight away.
[I can’t do it. What will happen if I leave?
Claudette... the Stepsister I deeply respect, she’ll probably excuse my behavior.
I’d be forcing a difficult fate on Elina though. It’s easy to imagine her getting married off to someone she doesn’t like, so that she can govern the Earldom in my stead.
I don’t want her to walk down that path.]
As those thoughts occupied her mind, time was only ticking.
“Say, Elina...”
“What is it, Sister?”
“There’s something I want to do, but...”
“Don’t hold back.”
Her younger sister replied before she even finished her sentence.

“I’m not a good girl like you, Sister. Selfish as it might sound, even if it’s something that annoys Father, I don’t care.”
Elina pulled herself close to her sister as she confidently stated so.
“That’s why, you don’t have to hold back, Sister. Father being in trouble is something you needn’t concern yourself with. That’s the fate and the responsibility of the man in the position of Earl.”
Her younger sister’s words made her feel like she had experienced an epiphany.
Leina realized then and there how much more her sister understood about the status, position and responsibilities of nobles than her.
“Besides, if by any chance you make a wrong choice, Sister, I will stop you then.”
The other stuck out her chest.
“I’m the only one who can cross swords with you.”

Certainly, among those in the Earl’s territory, the only one who could match the heiress was Elina—leaving Claudette aside, that is.
Not even Leina was able to react to that seriousness of her sister. At Hinomoto they had the proverb: ‘a skilled hawk hides its talons’; the older sister had just witnessed a fine example of it.
“You’re right. I expected no less from you. Still...”
“Still?”
“I’d resist you with all my power. As much as I can.”
“That’s so you, Sister. If I could ever cross swords with you at your full power... Aah, just imagining it gives me a chill.”
Blushing, the younger sister buried her face into her chest.
The heiress gently stroked her head, thinking she was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment